01 July 2011

Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (part 1)

I've always wondered who these latter-day saints were. Now I know, there's only one of them. His name was Joseph Smith and he lived in New York in the early 1800s. He invented a religion that now has 135 temples and 14 million members worldwide.
In a moment curiously reminiscent of the "discovery" of reiki by Mikao Usui, Smith:

"went to a grove of trees near his home and knelt in prayer. He described his experience: “I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me [ … ] When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other-This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!” 


That's it, the whole religion is founded on that one, mind-blowing psychedelic experience. Terrible! I've seen more convincing stuff on hippiesonacid.com. Having spoken professionally with lots of people who suffer from what is nowadays known as schizophrenia, this description sounds somewhat familiar to me. I'm not suggesting the guy was mad - in fact, far from it, he was clearly very together - but I am suggesting that he doesn't sound very convincing nowadays. I would most definitely get locked up if I started coming out with stuff like this. Smith got away with it because in the time and place he lived there were countless religious nuts and suffering, vulnerable people ravaged by battles, poverty and disease, desperate to have some ray of hope to latch on to.

He went on to produce vast quantities of scriptures that were "shown" to him by God - modern yoghurt weavers call this process channeling - and like all clever founders of religions he emphasised how important family is to God (thus ensuring that the religion passes on, and multiplies, through family units.) And of course, allowing men to have multiple wives is all part and parcel of that, right? I mean, it's part of God's plan to restablish the traditions of the Old Testament times. There is of course, the theory that Smith was having an affair with someone in his congregation, and not wanting to get in trouble with his wife, he decided to invent God's doctrine on polygamy. But obviously that can't be true. It must be all part of God's plan, that's why the Mormon church public renounced it just before the turn of the century.

They've got this thing about Temples, in Mormonism, too. They seem to think that from the time of Jesus until the time of Smith there were no temples in the world. Except in Asia, Europe, Africa, Australasia, South America, ooh and other parts of North America? Maybe they missed a few out when they were counting.

It's not unusual for Christian religions to be anti-gay but the Mormon church has a particularly interesting viewpoint. Because for them, family is everything, "Any sexual activity outside of marriage is wrong, and mariage is between a man and a woman." Mormon's will not budge on this, as it is the word of the Lord who is perfect. But it's OK because they don't like to discriminate gays in society in issues such as housing or employment, oh and the chuch's position is based on love so it's quite fluffy really. They're sinners against God and they are wrong, but its OK really, we don't hate them. Aw, bless. How understanding these Mormons are about the diverse populations of the world.

There'll be more on the LDS in later blogs but, walking past the place every day whilst walking my dog I started to wonder who are these people who dress in suits for no good reason, when it's 100 degrees in the shade...

No comments:

Post a Comment